Week 23 – Practical Spirituality
Is spirituality practical or mystical? Out author contends that it is intensely practical and cites an example from personal experience.
What Is Spirituality?
As opposed to materialism, spirituality is the recognition that "things which are seen were not made of things which do appear." That is, there is a real unseen world which we call the world within that controls the world without.
Here's the dictionary contrast:
materialism [muh-teer-ee-uh-liz-uh m]
1. preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.
2. the philosophical theory that regards matter and its motions as constituting the universe, and all phenomena, including those of mind, as due to material agencies.
spiritualism [spir-i-choo-uh-liz-uh m]
1. the belief or doctrine that the spirits of the dead, surviving after the mortal life, can and do communicate with the living, especially through a person (a medium) particularly susceptible to their influence.
2. the practices or phenomena associated with this belief.
3. the belief that all reality is spiritual.
4. Metaphysics. any of various doctrines maintaining that the ultimate reality is spirit or mind.
5. spiritual quality or tendency.
6. insistence on the spiritual side of things, as in philosophy or religion.
Mr. Haanel and I would say that the first two definitions here are not practical. Start with the third meaning and continue to see what it is we mean. The Bible tells us we are created in the image of God. That image is Spirit. God looked out over the void and instead of saying, "Boy, is it ever dark here", He said "Light Be!" and BANG! there was light. Jesus said that we could have what we say if we could believe that. (see the post from this week)
Here's mental exercise for you: What if it were really true that there is a God who loves you and has empowered you to be of service to many. What if you could actually have what you say? Not when you are being "spiritual", but all the time. What if everything you say does come to pass? Would you be more careful with your words? See this post.
My wish for you is that you become aware of the invisible world which you are constantly creating and manifest only good things for you and yours. Stay tuned.